Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Foot Update

Guess what?!? The Doc at the emergency room made the wrong diagnosis. When I went to the podiatrist on Monday he took some x-rays and showed me that I had a subluxated cuboid. For you medical students, you might know what that is. For the rest of us, let me explain. The cuboid is a 6 sided bone in the foot right in front of the heal bone that is pretty big and thick. It is towards the back of your arch and toward the outside of your foot. This bone in my foot, because I didn't have proper arch support during the triathlon, moved down about 1/4 inch from where it was supposed to be, sort of like this x-ray I found on Google:
You can see how the heal bone goes up and then the next bone to the right is down pretty far from being level. That is the Cuboid, and it should be just about even to the heal bone. So the doctor, to try and remedy this, found maybe the most painful spot on the bottom of my foot, put his thumbs on it, and pushed up hard to try and get it back into place. That hurt by the way, I had to put some of my shirt in my mouth to bite down on and grippe the arms on the chair to brace myself. I slept last night because I was prescribed percocet and SOMA to kill the pain and relax the muscles, respectively. So that is the update on my foot, I still ice it down and walk around with a big boot and crutches.

2 comments:

Somers said...

I'm glad you shared your story about falling apart. It makes me feel like less of a jerk for making everyone worry! : ) I hope that your foot is starting to feel better, that really stinks. (not your foot, your injuries)

Harmon Clan said...

Just wait till you get really old like me and see what happens to your body!